Tuesday, April 26, 2011

VIDEO: Sarah Kay: If I Should Have a Daughter...

I've always been fond of Spoken Word Poetry. Typically, people hear that term and think of rap (which is appropriate), but there's more to it than that. Performance Poetry, to me, is inspiring and entertaining. It's something that needs to be listened to, not just heard. Observed, not just seen. It's an art form, it really is. Sarah Kay is a very talented poet and performer, outstanding in her field. The first three minutes of this video include her performing one of my favorite Spoken Word Poetry performances, a poem she wrote called B. I love poetry, reading it and writing it, but I've never taken my shot at performing it. Perhaps this was the inspiration I needed to make that first attempt. I hope it's just as inspiring to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment