Tuesday, April 12, 2011

SONG: Francesca da Rimini, Op. 32 by P. I. Tchaikovsky


As a budding musician, once upon a time, I participated in a performance of this piece. It is meant to represent Francesca's descent into hell. And you can hear it in the tone, tempo, and character of the entire piece. IT'S SCARY.

Inasmuch, this piece has become my theme song for Finals Week. The temper of the timpani, the wailing of the high strings, the hopeful cadence of the clarinet, the chilling rumble from the celli. There's nothing I can think of that could better describe the haunting ballad that is Finals Week.

It is quite lengthy, but if you venture to listen to it at all, I would suggest starting around the 8 minute mark and follow it to 16 or so. But only if you want the story to have a happy ending. I can picture the snakes, like fast approaching deadlines, slithering closer and closer while you lay there, helpless. And then tumbling into disarray as you plummet to the bottom of a volcano. Total chaos. But soon comes a sliver of light through the storm clouds. You realize you've made it out alive. And life is good :) You skip along and birds fly around your head and the sky is blue and you sing a song of gratitude that it's all finally over. Or is it? I'll let you figure that one out for yourself. Listen to the whole thing. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment